- District Life
- District Diary
- The Methodist Church
- Contact Us
District Newsletter – April 2019
Welcome to the Bolton and Rochdale District Newsletter.
This edition includes details about events, dates for your diaries, training opportunities, vacancies, links and contacts. If you have any information to share then please contact us so we can include in future editions. Please share this newsletter around your churches, circuits and contacts.
Events & Dates for your diary: visit the District Website: www.barmd.org.uk
3Generate discovery evening on Monday 1st April, 7.30pm.
3Generate is the national Methodist children and youth assembly, an action-packed and inspiring weekend for hearing the voice of children and young people across the Methodist Church, focussing on fun, faith and friends. The event on Monday 1st April will be chance for leaders to find out more about what 3Generate is like and what happens over the weekend, by hearing from a couple of young people who have attended 3Generate and getting some tips and practical advice from leaders who have previously taken a group of young people.
Please do pass this information on to any other leaders or youth/children's teams who you think would be interested in finding out more about 3Generate and whether to take a group of their young people in the future.
What - 3Generate discovery event
When - Monday 1st April, 7.30pm (arrivals and refreshments from 7pm)
Where - Walkden Methodist Church (Bridge Suite), Manchester Rd East, Walkden, M38 9AN
For further details contact: Naomi Rostron (Youth and Children's Work Enabler for North West and Mann Region, Bolton and Rochdale District) firstname.lastname@example.org
Precious memories lunch and chat afternoons (every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month)
We meet every 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month, from 12.00 -2pm at Christ Church, Mytham Road, Little Lever, Bolton, BL3 1JE.
A friendly group for people living with memory loss, anxiety and depression with their Carers, family and friends.
If you are looking for a free, safe, relaxed and welcoming environment to have fun and laughter together, join us for a light lunch and a chat!
There is also the option of table games, fun with music, gentle exercises, arts and crafts and entertainment.
Saturday 27th April - Christian Aid sponsored walk ‘Circle the City’ in Manchester.
I am delighted to tell you that this year we are organising a Christian Aid sponsored walk ‘Circle the City’ in the centre of Manchester. It is on 27th April 2019 starting at 11:30am. We would love you to join us to celebrate Christian Aid week in this way. Through your sponsorship, you will also be raising money to end poverty with each step you take.
The walk is 5km long and gives you the chance to visit some of Manchester’s historic places of worship and beautiful historic buildings. Along the way we've lots to keep you entertained, including pop-up exhibitions, music, treasure hunts and other fun activities.
The walk is suitable for all ages and abilities. The walk starts at Manchester Cathedral where there will also be a short pre-walk service and will end at St Ann’s church.
I would really appreciate it if you can promote this to your congregation. Please find attached posters and flyers for you to use to promote the walk. Please let me know if you would like me to send any hard copies out to you.
If you and others in your congregation would like to register or want some more information, please visit www.christianaid.org.uk/events/circle-city-2019-manchester
I look forward to celebrating with you in this way!
Bex Turner (Regional Coordinator, Greater Manchester)
Dates for your diary: visit the District Website: www.barmd.org.uk
For details of the various jobs around the Connexion please visit: www.methodist.org.uk/jobs
How to become a Fairtrade Church: The three goals: To be part of the campaign by becoming a Fairtrade Church, please register with us www.fairtrade.org.uk/en/get-involved/in-your-community/faith-groups/fairtrade-churches
Worship: Leading and Preaching course tutors' training
The Continuing Development Days for Current Tutors of the W:LP course are:
8th June 2019, 28th November 2019. The purpose of the days are:
• For those tutors who have students’ who have had portfolios submitted in that period to hear feedback
• For all tutors to be given additional training and support to help them develop as tutors.
• The focus of the training is chosen in response to areas of weaknesses found Connexionally in portfolios.
• To hear Connexional updates relating to the course and to give feedback to the Learning Network to feedback to Connexional colleagues.
• To meet other tutors, build connections and support.
Please book through Rob at email@example.com
For further details contact Jasmine Devadason at firstname.lastname@example.org
General Data Protection Regulation came into effect on 25th May 2018.
Training and resources from TMCP are fine tuned for The Methodist Church context:
Learning Network: North West & Mann Region
Our Learning Network Team have various events and training coming up so please visit the website for further information of what is coming up this year - http://www.methodist.org.uk/learning/network-regions/north-west-mann-region
- Action for Children: www.actionforchildren.org.uk
- All We Can: www.allwecan.org.uk
- Bible Society: www.biblesociety.org.uk
- Children’s Bible stories: www.childrenschapel.org
- Christian Aid: http://www.christianaid.org.uk/
- Connexion website: www.methodist.org.uk
- DMLN: www.discipleshaped.org/events/date
- Methodist Women in Britain: www.mwib.org.uk
- Methodist Publishing: www.methodistpublishing.org.uk
Our Daily Bread Ministries…..not just the daily devotionals.
Other resources that are available:
1. Looking Deeper- How can I respond to terrorism? Just once more - and then I'll quit. I'm a new Christian: Why is it so hard? At least 23 different titles.
2. Looking at Life - Why in the world is there suffering? Should we care about Easter? At least 15 different titles.
3. Media Club - at least 12 different DVD's great for Bible studies.
4. Discovery series - The power of the cross. At least six titles.
5. Resources for new Christians as well as the youth and small children.
The team are willing to come and share with you, please contact them directly either by email on email@example.com or by phone on 015395 64149.
Quiet Days at Chapel in the Fields
We are offering a monthly Quiet Day at The Chapel over the next few months on the second Wednesday, 9:30am for 10:00 am start, finish by 3:15pm.
Spaces will be limited so please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like attend. We are asking for £10 donation for the day to include a simple lunch.